Spring Checklist for Hot Tub Preparation
Is there a better way to enjoy the fresh air of spring than relaxing in your very own hot tub? Take advantage of this beautiful time of year and follow this checklist for preparing your hot tub as spring begins to bloom:
- While there are many general tips that will apply for hot tub maintenance, it is important to always follow the specific manufacturer’s instructions for your hot tub.
- Winters in Ottawa can be tough on even the most rugged hot tub cover. As you begin to prepare your hot tub for spring, inspect the cover and make sure it has not been damaged.
- Clean the cover with a mild cleansing agent and a sponge or brush. You can apply a vinyl protectant to both sides of the cover, which not only improves the look of the cover but can help fight off the growth of mildew.
- Scrub down the shell of your hot tub. Keep an eye out for any cracks or leaks. You should wax the body of the hot tub every couple years.
- Above all, you want to relax in clean and clear water. You can purge your hot tub and flush the plumbing lines. Run a couple cycles by filling the spa, flushing with a high-quality product, then draining and repeating the process.
- The equipment is what makes your hot tub purr. Inspect your water pump, ozonator, and heater for any signs of leaking, rust, or wear.
- Filters are necessary to keep your water clear and clean. You can clean your filter by soaking it in a cartridge cleaning solution overnight. Disposable filters can simply be replaced.
- Inspect the function of your controls and jets. Are the buttons working properly? Do the jets pump out air at full volume?
- Now that everything is clean and the hot tub is full of water, it’s time to make sure the water is balanced. Test for pH levels, alkalinity, and hardness. If you need to add any treatments like stain or scale removers, do so. Finish the process by shocking the water and sanitizing. Always follow the instructions when using chemicals.
- Clean and organize everything around the hot tub area, from sweeping the surrounding patio to arranging your hot tub chemicals in a safe and dry environment.
- Last but not least…enjoy!
Once your hard work is complete, you’re ready to relax in the warm and comfortable surrounds of your hot tub all season long.